Thursday, February 17, 2011

Prompt #17

What do you think about dress codes? Do they make sense in school, restaurants, or places of business? Why or why not?

I am a fan of the dress code at schools although I have never gone to a school with one. In theory, it makes a lot of sense. If there is not a uniform - peer pressure over the latest fashion can be detrimental - it evens the playing field. The rich kids and the poor kids all look alike. Of course that doesn't stop that kind of bullying off campus - but it doesn't make it an area of focus for kids trying to learn.

I am all for freedom of speech and freedom of expression. But, wearing a t-shirt with a statement that insults or marginalizes a group is not appropriate for a K-12 classroom. Put it on after school and make your statement.

I'm not all for uniforms, aka like catholic schools, but I think a dress code is appropriate in schools.

Disneyland has one.

There is nothing as unappetizing as a bare chest in a restaurant - unless you are at a swim up bar at an exotic location. No shirt, no shoes, no service is a great idea. There is something special about going to a restaurant where men are required to wear a jacket - its not one of those places I frequent (who could afford it) but there is something about FINE dining that makes dressing u special.

I find that I am usually overdressed. I got to a lot of functions - theatre opening nights - and people are dressed up and people are dressed down (jeans). I'm all for jeans with boots or heels - but come on - it's a special night and you know it!

I went to an event honoring an individual that was followed by an invitation only dinner. I was shocked to see people dressed down. It wasn't black tie but it was an important occasion.

We have entered a world of casual. I too have found myself teaching in jeans. But when everything is casual - nothing is special.

One of my friends organized a "little black dress" night. We all dressed up and went to a fancy restaurant for dinner. It was delightful! Everyone felt they looked great. It seemed to give everyone a different level of confidence.

I do find that when I dress for work - I feel different. When I am just slumming in my "mom uniform" I feel like I am slumming.

Perhaps that is why I have started fixing my hair -

No comments: