Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Prompt #15

If you could start any type of new business, what would it be?

I'd open an antique bookstore. I know that is totally impractical given the demise of numerous major chains and even Borders potential bankrupty. But I don't think books will die. There is nothing like the smell of a book. I love holding books. I love cracking the binding on a new book or being incredibly delicate with an old one. Yes I have read a book on my iPhone. No didn't like it. O I've held the kindle - which I think is pretty cool and the iPad (which I completely covet). But a book just feels right - you can cuddle in bed with it.

My business would be antique books - first printings - out of print books - rare publications. Yes o know that with most antique books copywrights have expired and you can pretty much get it on the web for free. Whatever. I'm interested in working with book people not the college student that has to read a dickens for the one lit class they are taking.

My business would offer a research component as well. Like dramaturgy - give us a topic and we can accumulate info for you. We can provide comprehensive reading lists on subjects or put together a dossier for you on whatever the subject may be.
Need to know about Picasso during the war years from the perspective of his lovers - we can do that.
Now we are not going to write research papers for students. But we will provide assistance.

I picture the storefront like some British bookshop - floor to ceiling books with sliding ladders. A musty smell and cozy leather chairs.

I love to talk books. So come on in and we can chat about some good things to read.

No comments: