Friday, February 11, 2011

Prompt #11

Tell us about your first encounter with a bully, then tell us about your last one.

My ass was kicked (just one swift kick to the butt) by some random girl in elementary school. She called me a name too - and to this day I have no idea why. I didn't know the girl. I was in the 4th grade. It still perplexes me. I have memories of the staircase. I wasn't jumped or anything - there were a lot of people about. She just kicked me as I descended the stairs and shouted two words at me. I wasn't hurt or anything, just confused. I never bothered anyone. I had my small group of friends. It was just a random act, I think? Or did she confuse me with someone else? Or did I somehow wrong her and I just didn't realize it? or did I cut her off on the staircase and she just got mad? I'll never know. But, She felt justified in kicking my rear end.

I can't say I have encountered any physical violence in the recent years. I did have someone pin me against a wall and scream at me. I knew why he did it. He was wrong to do so - but I could see how he felt I had wronged him. I hadn't and his perspective was skewed (which he later came to realize after much therapy).

Bullies in my world are more sneaky. They use passive-aggressive tactics to get what they want. They use others to manipulate the situation to force you into doing things. In the great Greek plays that have wonderful ways of describing these bullies like - silver-tongued. It is usually a complementary phrase but then when you see the actions of the person - you realize they are just bullies.

I work with many such people. I have, unfortunately, been friends with them too. and I have occasionally caught myself in the role of bully. I don't like it when that happens - it makes me feel ashamed. I don't like pushing my will on others and I dont' like theirs pushed on me.

I have been watching one such bully weasel her way into an organization that I adore. I have watched her alienate everyone as she whispers to the boss how things should be done. And he listens and the others are forced to do as she wishes - which usually means less work for her and more for them. Perhaps I shall write a story about this woman. I used to think she was quite inept - but that was becuase I was looking at what I thought her job was - I wasn't looking at her ability to manipulate every situation to her advantage. She's good. She's very very good and that makes her quite scary and formidable.

No comments: