Thursday, February 10, 2011

Prompt #10

Do you work too much?

Yes and No

Its strange the profession I am in. I can't leave it at work. I don't clock in or out. I am constantly thinking about the next project and (hopefully) the one after that. I think I always need to be working towards achieving some goal. I should be doing something - writing, reading, etc - to better my mind or to research a project.

Yes - I think I am a work-a-holic.

But I also procrastinate more than I should. Really. I have to turn off social networking sites just to get a little thing accomplished. I watch WAY too much television. I don't know how it happens - but I get totally sucked in. I have to admit - I don't ever turn it on when I am home alone - there is just too much to do -- but I will watch clips posted in various on line news sites (Daily Show why must you be so good). I surf the web constantly - and am usually quite board when I do it. One would think I could stop and do something productive - but it is now a compulsion.

My agent told me to relax - that I don't have to do everything now... but there is so much I want to do.

Wow - i sound totally crazy and wound up!

My little "field trip" last month has helped me to put things in perspective. I went several weeks without being able to focus on anything. I was forced to relax and take care of myself. and the funny thing was - Iwasn't stressed out.

or so I thought.

2 1/2 weeks into my respite - my mouth started to hurt like hell. Crap - root canal - I thought. So I go to the dentist - I clinch my teeth - yep. That's caused by STRESS.

guess I need to do yoga again.

somehow I need to figure out how to balance being a mom, work, a healthy diet (and yes I made cupcakes today) and exersice - I see other people do it, why cant I?

but yes, I probably do work too much. But as I work for myself, isn't that how it should be? I contract out for others and I think I do a damn good job for them.

It's self motivating that is the problem

wow - this is turnig into quite the freudian couch post

self-motivating when I am trying to generate work.

I was depressed a lot of last year becuase the phone just wasn't ringing. But what was I doing to get my name out there? the minimum required. I seem to have lost soem steam.

so my quest - and yes it is a Quest - is to regain some momentum - and create create create

yes

and that will mean I work too much

but as one of my dearest friends and my husband pointed out to me - I am always happiest when I am working

No comments: