Thursday, September 09, 2010

Toes

I have never broken a bone in all my 3+ decades on this planet. Today - I think I broke my toe.

My sister broker her arms (not at the same time). In both instances she was on the "monkey bars" on the school play structure. I remember this structure well. It was made of wood - had multiple levels. The monkey bars were metal. I clearly remember running down the wooden stairs in hot pursuit of a friend. I held on the the wood railing as I ran and felt excruciating pain as over 20 slivers of wood went into my palm. I was sent to the school nurse who told me she was not "allowed" to remove them - she just bandaged my hand and sent me back to class. My mom had to pull them out when she got home from work. She was so livid at the school. I think it was the first time I ever heard her muttering angry words under her breath.

So today at my daughter's school - I watched them put in a new structure for the kindergartners. It has monkey bars. But the whole thing is mental and plastic. At my elementary school - tanbark was the filler of choice. Here - a nice plastic-like foamy ground so you don't get hurt onto concrete.

No comments: