Tuesday, September 07, 2010

lists

Christopher Moore, the author of Lamb, one of my favorite books, commented on his Facebook that "bloggers:making lists is not writing."
and yet another favorite author Umberto Eco says, "We like lists because we don't want to die." Eco just came out with a book about Lists.

I love lists. I love lists of words. I wrote a play many moons ago, where I would list would write a word and then two more similar ones that seemed to push it forward. It's like searching for an action in theatre.

Your action could be "to educate", but if you look up a list of words like educate - you get to enlighten, to nurture, to cultivate, to counsel -- each maintains the idea of "to educate" but shift the nuance. In theatre we are always looking for the high stakes verb to play. To educate - great starting point but general. To enlighten - stronger and more direct.

No comments: