Wednesday, March 18, 2009

my visit to EDD

This is the first time in my life I have had to file unemployment.

So with my last Unemployment Check came a notice that I had to go to the EDD office for a meeting at 2pm today. Well, the husband is in tech in a different city and my baby sitters are all busy. Plus 2pm is the time all my Mom friends have to pick up their kids - so it is just oneof those impossible times...

So yesterday, I called and asked if I could be rescheduled. They said, "Oh just come in anytime tomorrow." GREAT!

I show up.

The women askes why I can't come at 2pm today. I said, childcare is an issue. She said, what if it was a job? I said, then I guess my husband would have to take her to work with him or I would have to pay someone to watch her. Well, she says, we need to know what you can make a job if it is offered to you. And I said, I was very responsible and called yesterday, spoke to someone in your office and was told I could "drop in" today. She said, well, they shouldn't have told you that. I said, well they did - do I know have to find a babysitter and come back at 2pm or what? She said, no.

She then made sure I filled everything in on Caljobs. Told me all the stuff I needed to know. Didn't really answer the questions I had, but that's okay. My big sister seems to know the the system really welll.

I chose not to mention that in my profession, you don't ever get called on the same day to go to a jobsite. I also chose not to mention that Caljobs is useless for me as employers in the arts don't use it...

ARG.

I start teaching in a couple weeks. Thank goodness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh man. This must have been frustrating.
Sounds like she was condescending you. I think I would have punched her in the nose -- involuntarily. I have that reflex now.