Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A stranger

Today was my daughters ballet class. Earlier this year we started a routine of getting a "treat" prior to class. There are 90 minutes between her pre-school pick up times and the start of ballet. It's not enough time to go home, so we go out - usually for frozen yogurt. But today I wanted to see if this certain store had bookcases. I knew there was a starbucks nearby - so starbucks it was.

The kid got some over-priced fruit and an over-priced over-sugared cupcake. They were playing some fun music and my girl started showing off her moves - including some ballet. This incredibly attractive woman sitting near us overheard me telling Sophia to practice her arabesques and asks me if she was taking ballet. I said yes. We got to talking.

ThIs woman is 65. She was a trained ballerina in Canada. She joined a company in Washington D.C. Got married and stayed. She taught Disco in San Francisco. She now has two grandchildren and enjoys them. She seemed incredibly content with her life. She's now retired.

She was in the coffee shop to read her book (the one about Tolstoy).

She really left an impression. Her zen-like ease and pleasing countenance had a calming influence on me. It made me remember to breathe and enjoy the moments. Perhaps at 65, I too can just chill with a good book and not feel guilty I am not doing something more productive.

Forgive any typos - I am blogging ony iPhone while the kid falls asleep

No comments: