Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Beautiful stranger

My daughter has very eccletic taste when it comes to music. My husand made her a "mash up" CD that we both keep in our cars. Madonna's Beautiful Stranger is on the CD. She knows all the words and sings it loudly. She also has songs from the curious George and Hairspray soundtracks. She also knows which other CDs we each have in our respective car. Bowie and Cheryl Crowe in mine and Bare Naked Ladies in her dads. She sometimes asks for songs by name. It's pretty damn cute.

I find that when I listen to songs of my youth (70s/80s) I am so flabbergasted by what they mean. I was a big Duran Duran fan (seriously what girl wasn't?) back in the day and I was oblivious to all the sexual innuendo in the songs. Blondie'a lyrics and The Police too surpirse me... I realized that I had no clue what the songs I sang by heart were really about.

And that is okay.

I laughed out loud when the kid wanted to hear "mother" on the Synchronisity album the other day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to go back to SD too. Also, Kindergarten? I don't know either and ambivalent in exactly the same way!