Tuesday, March 02, 2010

stranger in my own city

I am freaking out about kindergarten. The kid goes this fall and I just don't know what to do. Where should she go?

I realized that I have allowed myself to remain a stranger in this city/county I live in.

I have never really bothered to memorize street names. Of course, I know fun spots and how to get places. I know where to find things I need.

But at times I feel I don't know anything about this place I call home.

In chatting with my dear friend today about the kindergarten dilemma, I said, "I guess I never thought we would still be living here at this point." That just came out. My city girl prejudices are sitting right there at the forefront of my mind causing me to think that this small town school that my kid will go to isn't good enough for her.

Have I ever been to the school? Nope. I need to get over myself. It's got a great ranking and people I respect seem to love it.

I have been holding on (or carrying) this notion of - I don't know what.

I feel a bit displaced. Maybe it was the trip to SD that got me a little discombobulated... hmmm

No comments: