Thursday, March 06, 2008

just a surreal day...

My day began with a meeting with a director. She was lovely and it made me think about what my life would have been like if I moved to NY to create theatre and never met the husband.

I am so thankful I met the husband.

I love NY but there is just no way in hell I could live here. and just no way I could raise a child here. I have been hyper aware of the parents with their kids in on the streets, in the subway. WOW. Don't know how they do it.

I then had lunch with an agent.

Then I wandered up to FAO Schwartz to look for a robot for the kid. Found some cool monsters but no robot.

Then another meeting with an agent.

Then another meeting with a director.

Then a lovely cocktail event. Yesterday, randomly, I found out that one of my mentors was getting his caricature put on the the wall at Sardi's.

I managed to get myself invited to the "unveiling" event.

Now this guy has been a huge supporter of my work and is one of the nicest guys in show business. Really.

It was wonderful to see him.

I also just happened to meet Terrence McNally and Tom Stoppard.

Yeah

I know

Crazy

I then went and had a fabulous dinner with one of my dearest friends. We drank an amazing bottle of Argentinian wine - talked about art and theatre.

I should have gone to see another show - but I've already seen three and that was about all I could possibly handle this week. Besides... friends are more important.

Dare I tell you all that I, kiki, who HATES LOATHES DESPISES shopping - braved the Toy's R Us in Times Square to find that elusive robot?

Yes, I walked in (timeline wise this was in between the celebrity love-fest and dinner with M) and asked for some assistance. I was pointed to the toddler toy section - nada, nothing no robots.

So I asked two employees, both of whom were black, where I could find a robot. I explained my predicament - that my toddler thinks I am meeting robots (how ironic) in New York and I need to bring one back with me. As the woman and I were laughing about my kids tenacity, another employee, who was white, came over and started telling me that where to look. He completely interrupted the woman - who was being incredibly helpful - asking me questions. And he was all about the age appropriateness of the toys for my daughter. He literally pushed his way in between the two employees I was talking to.

BIZARRE.

Anyway - I said "well were are the robots for the older kids"

and he said "we have nothing for 3 and under".

And I said, "where are the robots?

he said "They don't make the for kids under 3"

I said "I'm the parent and I know what toys are appropriate for my child, so could you kindly point me in the right direction."

He pointed to the basement/electronics level.

I said, curtly, 'Thanks" and turned to the woman and said "thank you."

What in the hell was that about?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay Ms. Modesty, let's just set the record straight; you did not just meet Tom and Terrence, that would go something like this:

"K, meet Tom, Tom this is K. Oh and Terrence, you know Tom right, and this is K. Anyway, about the Times Square Recruiting center..."

No, you actually got to chat with both of them - Twice with Terrence, who also got an earful of how great you were from your mentor.

Seriously K, modesty + blogging = boring!

Love ya!