Sunday, February 17, 2008

things in the toilet

I have decided to follow Dr. Sears' advice on potty training - well - the do it in a weekend advise... I was ill prepared.

I only had nine pairs of panties for the girl... all of which got washed at least twice on Saturday. Sunday and Monday - only three pairs down. I am not expecting a miracle... but at least she is now telling me (well 50% of the time) that she has to go...

Anyway while this is happening this weekend, I have been exchanging e-mails with an old mentor and good friend about the state of theatre in this country. I sent him this article, which a friend sent me.

I now work for a regional theatre - I used to run a scappy little alternative theatre out of an old funeral chapel...

Ohh - and poop with a lot of Almonds in it is pretty stinky...

The difference between theatres with money and theatres without is artistic freedom. And yep - if you don't have a huge budget you can get riskier and more adventurous with your programming. You also get to go into major credit card debt because you can't pay your rent.

"Mommy I have to pee" means "Mommy I am peeing"

The problem with regional theatre is that the larger you get the less risks you can take because one bad show means the box office take is awful which means possible lay-offs... so it is easy to fall into the mindset to just do shows that "sell". And how is that supposed to make one company distinct from another?

And because EVERYONE and their mother thinks they know about the arts... and the ignorant people write reviews and pass themselves off as theatre experts wouldn't know Artaud if he spanked them in the ass... and everyone thinks they can act... and that its easy... the art form is loosing its..well.. form...

formless poop is harder to get out of panties than a firm one...

there are very few theatre companies that have big budgets that are actually moving the art form forward...

and VERY few companies that support local talent...

a guy asked me why we bring people in from New York, LA, wherever.. and I said, we want the best possible talent on our stage and sometimes that means we have to go out of town...

why can't we work where we live?

why a vagabond existence?

And why can't artists just create art? Why do we have to make a "product?"

I really hate using hotel toilets...

2 comments:

Gina Marie said...

This entry was strangely poetic.

As the japanese say, "Ganbatte, ne?"

It means, alternately, "Hold on,” “Go for it,” “Keep at it,” or “Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

Alright- you will have to give me the details on this method and if it works/is working.

Hope you are well~
Mel